Dr. Sunil Kumar Singh
I have been working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics, IIT (BHU), Varanasi since Feb. 2018. My research interest is focused on optical spectroscopy of different types of materials and their technological applications mainly in the area of optical imaging, optical data storage, energy harvesting and sensors. After completing my Ph.D. from Department of Physics, Banaras Hindu University (2011), I moved to the Department of Physics, Changwon National University, South Korea for post-doctoral studies (2011-12). I returned back India to take up a DST-INSPIRE Faculty position at Department of Physics, IIT (BHU) Varanasi and worked as INSPIRE Faculty for the period (2013-2017).
Major Research Areas (Luminescent Materials and Device Development)
- Laser Spectroscopy/Photon Upconversion/Steady State and Transient Photoluminescence
- Luminescent Nanostructures:
- Lanthanide based Oxide and Fluoride Phosphors; Quantum Dots; Plasmonic Nanoparticles
- Lanthanide-Organic Complexes & Hybrid/Composite Nanostructures
- NIR Persistent/Photostimulable Phosphors
- Inorganic Halide Perovskites
- Optical-Imaging/Bio-Imaging/Upconversion Microscopy
- Optical Data Storage & Security applications
- Spectral Conversion/Solar energy harvesting
- Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
- Sensors (Temperature, Gas & Biological)
List of Publications: Detailed list can be found at: Google Scholar
Some Representative Publications after Joining IIT (BHU): (* Corresponding Author)
PHY-101 Classical, Quantum & Relativistic Mechanics
EP-342 Biophysical Techniques
PHY-101/AP-1101/1201 Classical, Quantum & Relativistic Mechanics
PHY-103 Modern Physics
EP-342 Biophysical Techniques
AP-3202 Atomic Physics & Nucl. Engg.
EP-432/AP-5104/AP-7107-Photonics & Optoelectronics
PYM 541: Laser Physics (M.Sc.)
AP-7111-Advanced Materials Characterization Techniques (Ph.D. Course work)
AP-1301/1401- Mechanics Lab
AP-1401/1402- Electricity & Optics Lab
AP-4301: Physics Lab, IMD-IVth year
AP-4401: Physics Lab, IMD-IVth year
PYM 591: Spectroscopy Lab (M.Sc.)
1. Mr. Sachin Singh (INSPIRE Fellow); Nanostructures for Energy Harvesting
2. Mr. Santosh Kachhap (JRF-CSIR); Inorganic Halide Perovskites for opto-electronic applications
3. Ms. Shruti (Prime Minister's Research Fellow-PMRF); Luminescence Nanostructures for Optical Encoding
4. Ms. Shanas Fatima (Prime Minister's Research Fellow-PMRF): Materials for optical encryption and Energy Applications
5. Mr. Prem Chandra Bharti (Teaching Assistant) [Co-supervisor]
6. Ms. Manisha Sharma (CSIR-JRF) [Co-supervisor]
7. Ms. Gargi (UGC-JRF) [Co-supervisor]
Master (M.Tech/M.Sc.) and UG Students:
- Mr. Abhay Kumar Gaurav (2023-24) [M.Tech]; Upconversion in CsPbBr3 Nanocrystals
- Mr. Akhil Kumar (2023-24) [UG Project]; Optical properties of inorganic halide perovskite nanostructure
- Mr. Tofan Sitha (2023-24) [M.Sc. Thesis]; Lead free perovskite nanostructures for optoelectronic applications
Masters (M.Tech & MSc.)
- Mr. Dhruv Bargujar (2015-16); Insight into the bright side of defects: study of persistent luminescence
- Mr. Chittyreddy Sripal (2016-17); Optical properties of lanthanide doped phosphors
- Ms. Priyanka Baa (19-20); Lanthanide doped material for energy harvesting applications
- Mr. Ishank Kumar Mittal (20-21); Dual mode emission in lanthanide-doped nanostructures
- Ms. Suchita Kumari (20-21) [M.Sc.]; Photon Upconversion in Lanthanide Nanostructure
- Mr. Saurabh Jha (21-22) [M.Sc.]; Photon upconversion in lanthanide materials
- Mr. Niglum N (2022-23) [M.Sc.]; Colloidal quantum dots as platform for Quantum Information
- Mr. Anshu Kumar Mishra (2022-23) [M.Tech]; Development of Lanthanide-Doped Upconversion Nanoparticles for Optical Encoding
- UG Projects
- Mr. Abhay Kumar Gaurav
- Ms. Priyanka Baa
- Mr. Ishank Kumar Mittal
- Mr. Dhruv Bargujar
- Mr. Pawan Malviya (Co-Supervisor)
- Exploratory Projects
- Mr. Manish Nonha
- Mr. Subhro Das
- Inorganic Halide Perovskites for Optical encryption...., Core Research Grant, SERB-DST, (2023-25): 21 Lakhs
- Luminescent nanostructures as spectral converters..., Seed Grant-IIT(BHU) (2018): 10 Lakhs
- Nanostructures for bio-imaging...., INSPIRE, DST, (2013-18): 35 Lakhs
- Tailoring correlations of light using plasmonic and nano-structures, BRNS (2021-23): 33.70 Lakhs
- High Proton conducting metal phosphonate electrolytes for fuel cell applications, DRDO (22-23): 41.20 Lakhs
- DST-Inspire Faculty Award, DST, New Delhi (2013-2017)
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (PDF), Changwon National University, South Korea (2011-2012)
- CSIR-NEHRU PDF, CSIR, New Delhi (awarded, did not availed)
- DS Kothari PDF, UGC, New Delhi (awarded, did not availed)
- Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), CSIR, New Delhi (2009-2011)
- Junior & Senior Research Fellowships (JRF & SRF), Directorate of Forensic Science Services, MHA, New Delhi (2006-2009)
- Listed in “World’s Top 2% Scientists List” of Stanford University” under “Nanoscience and Nanotechnology” Category. (2020)
- M.L. Khorana Memorial Prize, Indian Pharmaceutical Association, Mumbai (2012) [https://ipapharma.org/ijps-best-paper-awards/]
- Young Scientist Award, Indian Science Congress Association, India (2010) [www.sciencecongress.nic.in/young_scientists_awards_09-10.php]
- Best Paper presentation Awards in Conference/Seminar/Symposium:
- 2nd International Conference on Soft Materials, MNIT, Jaipur, India (2016).
- National Symposium on Advances in Lasers and Spectroscopy (Harbansh Singh Memorial Young Scientist Award), Dr. H. S. Gaur Central University, Sagar, India (2009)
- One day Conference on New Trends in Research, BHU, Varanasi, India (2007)
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Member of Indian Science Congress Association (Life Member, Membership No. L14296)
- Member of Laser & Spectroscopy Society of India (Life Member, Membership No. 315-08)
- Member of Society for Interdisciplinary Research in Materials and Biology (Life Member, Membership No: LT-023)
- Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (annual member by invitation, Membership No. 584365)
Talks for Science Popularization Program/Social Responsibility Program
- Fundamentals of Laser and its bio-medical applications, Resource person for a training workshop organized for Science Graduate (B.Sc.) students, Sunbeam Womens Degree College Varuna, Varanasi, 25th April, 2023.
- Laser and its applications, SERB-Social Responsibility Program, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, 26th March, 2022.
- Photon conversion in rare-earth doped inorganic materials, Indo-Us Joint Meeting, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Nov. 28-30, 2022
- Photon upconversion in lanthanides: Basics, mechanism, and applications, STUTI Training Program on “Synthesis and Characterization of Nanomaterials for Energy, Lighting & Bio-imaging Applications” Indian Institute of Technology (ISM) Dhanbad, Nov. 07-13, 2022
- Lanthanide doped hybrid nanostructures for optical encryption, International Conference on Smart Materials for Sustainable Technology-II, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, Oct. 13-16, 2022
- Laser Spectroscopy for Biological Applications, National Symposium on ‘Laser in Biology, Medical Science, Atmospheric Science and Climate Change’ Physics Department, Udai Pratap College, Varanasi, Mar. 14-15, 2022.
- Upconversion Spectroscopy, Virtual Workshop on Probing Materials using Spectroscopic Tools: Basics and Applications, MAHATMA GANDHI CENTRAL UNIVERSITY, Motihari, Bihar, Feb. 28-Mar 04, 2022
- Photoluminescence spectroscopy and its applications, Short Term Course on ‘Spectroscopy and its Applications in Modern Science’ (STC9-21), Doctor Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar, India (A Central University), 18th-24th Feb. 2022.
- Photon upconversion in lanthanide doped nanostructures & their applications, IIT and NIMS Materials Science Workshop, supported by JST SAKURA Science Program, Japan, 6-10 Dec. 2021.
- Upconversion Spectroscopy of nanomaterials, International Conference on Smart Materials for Sustainable Technology (SMST 2020), NIT Goa, Goa, 22-26 Feb. 2020.
- Hybrid nanostructures for the generation of red-NIR bimodal emission covering the first biological window, in International Symposium on Photonics and Plasmonics (ISPP-2019), at Department of Physics, Central University of Rajasthan, Kishangarh, Ajmer, 23-24 September 2019.
- Infrared to infrared photon upconversion through photo-stimulated luminescence, in a National Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and their applications (ANA-2018), at Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology (MNNIT) Allahabad, 21-23 Dec. 2018.
- Photon conversion using coherent and incoherent light sources for strategic applications in National Conference on Advances in Spectroscopy: Molecules to Materials at Institute of Infrastructure Technology Research and Management Ahmedabad, 05/10/2018.
- Photon management (up and down-conversion) using coherent and incoherent light sources” in the National Conference on Advances in Spectroscopic Techniques and Materials (ASTM-2018)” at Indian Institute of Technology (ISM) Dhanbad, India., 14-16 March, 2018
- Lanthanide doped magneto-luminescent nanostructures for upconversion microscopy”, in a National Symposium on Horizons of light in molecules, materials and daily life, held at Dr. H. S. Gour University, Sagar, MP, 18-19 Dec., 2015
- Lanthanide doped nanostructure for multi-modal emission and their applications, Indian Science Congress, Physical Science section, Mumbai University, 3-7 Jan. 2015.
- Physics of multi-mode emission: Optical properties of rare-earth doped phosphors”, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, Winter School on Advances in Laser Spectroscopy and Applications, Physics Department, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, 22-28 March, 2014
- Low temperature synthesis, nano-crystalline structure and observation of dual-mode luminescence, Indo-German Conference on Laser application and Nanoscience, Kerla, 5-7, Dec. 2013.