Highly motivated and hard working Ph.D and Postdoc candidates are welcome to apply...Lets enjoy chemical biology together
Dr. Samya Banerjee
Department of Chemistry
IIT BHU (Varanasi)
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Visiting Associate Professor (University of Warwick, UK)
Assistant Professor, IIT BHU, Varanasi, India (2021-present)
Postdoctoral research fellow, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany (2019-2020)
Newton International fellow, University of Warwick, England (2017-2019)
Postdoctoral research fellow, Johns Hopkins University, USA (2016-2017)
Ph.D, Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2015
M.Sc, Department of Chemistry, The University of Burdwan, Burdwan, West Bengal, India, 2010
B.Sc, Department of Chemistry, Vivekananda Mahavidyala, The University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India, 2008
Total no of Publications: 90
Total citation: 2691 (on 15/09/23, Source: Google Scholar)
Google Scholar link
Publications from IIT (BHU)
- A. K. Yadav, V. Singh, R. Kushwaha, D. Dolui, R. Rai, P. Dhar, A. Dutta, B. Koch, Samya Banerjee*, Polypyridyl Co (II)‐Curcumin Complexes as Photo‐activated Anticancer and Antibacterial Agents, ChemBioChem, 2023, e202300033.
- Z. Zhu, L. Wei, A. K. Yadav, Z. Fan, A. Kumar, M. Miao, Samya Banerjee*, H. Huang, Cyanine-Functionalized 2, 2′-Bipyridine Compounds for Photocatalytic Cancer Therapy, J. Org. Chem. 2023, 88, 626–631.
- Z. Fan, J. Xie, R. Kushwaha, S. Liang, W. Li, A. A. Mandal, L. Wei, Samya Banerjee*, H. Huang, Anticancer Screening of Ru (II) Photoredox Catalysts at Single Cell Level, Chem. Asian J. 2023, e202300047.
- A. Mandal, R. Kushwaha, A. A. Mandal, S. Bajpai, A. K. Yadav, Samya Banerjee*, Transition Metal Complexes as Antimalarial Agents: A Review. ChemMedChem, 2023, e202300326.
- W.Li, R. Kushwaha, A. Dao, Z. Fan, Samya Banerjee, H. Huang, Axisymmetric Bis-Tridentate Ir (III) Photoredox Catalysts for Anticancer Phototherapy Under Hypoxia, Chem. Commun. 2023, 10.1039/D2CC06721H.
- G. Liang, T. Sadhukhan, Samya Banerjee, D. Tang, H. Zhang, M. Cui, N. Montesdeoca, J. Karges, H. Xiao, Reduction of Platinum (IV) Prodrug Hemoglobin Nanoparticles with Deeply‐Penetrating Ultrasound Radiation for Tumor‐Targeted Therapeutically Enhanced Anticancer Therapy, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2023, e202301074.
- S. Wei, H. Liang, A. Dao, Y. Xie, F. Cao, Q. Ren, A. K. Yadav, R. Kushwaha, A. A. Mandal, Samya Banerjee, P. Zhang, S. Ji, H. Huang, Perturbing tumor cell metabolism with a Ru (II) photo-redox catalyst to reverse the multidrug resistance of lung cancer, Sci. China Chem. 2023, doi.org/10.1007/s11426-022-1496-0.
- A. A. Mandal, R. Kushwaha, A. K. Yadav, Samya Banerjee*, Metal Complexes for Cancer Sonodynamic Therapy, ChemBioChem, 2023, e202200597.
- M. Suthar, D. Khare, A. Gangwar, Samya Banerjee, N. K. Prasad, A. K. Dubey, P. K. Roy, Structural, magnetic, and biocompatibility evaluations of chromium substituted barium hexaferrite (Co2–Y) for hyperthermia application, Mater. Chem. Phys. 2023, 296, 127348.
- Z. Fan, Y. Rong, T. Sadhukhan, S. Liang, W. Li, Z. Yuan, Z. Zhu, S. Guo, S. Ji, J. Wang, R. Kushwaha, Samya Banerjee*, K. Raghavachari, H. Huang, Single-Cell Quantification of a Highly Biocompatible DinuclearIridium(III) Complex for Photocatalytic Cancer Therapy, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, 61, e202202098.
- R. Kushwaha, A. Kumar, S. Saha, S. Bajpai, A. K. Yadav, Samya Banerjee*, Os(II) complexes for Catalytic Anticancer Therapy: Recent Update, Chem. Commun. 2022, 58, 4825-4836.
- L. Wei, Z. Zhang, A. Kumar, Samya Banerjee, H. Huang, Endoperoxides Compounds for Highly Efficient Cancer Treatment under Hypoxia, Chem.Eur. J. 2022, e202202233.
- A. Dao, A. K. Yadav, L. Wei, Samya Banerjee*, H. Huang, Combination of Immunotherapy and Photo-pyroptosis as Novel Anticancer Strategy, ChemBioChem, 2022, e202200201.
- A. Sink, Samya Banerjee*, J. A. Wolny, C. Imberti, E. C. Lant, M. Walker, V. Schünemann, P. J. Sadler, Kinetics and mechanism of sequential ring methyl C–H activation in cyclopentadienyl rhodium (III) complexes, Dalton Trans., 2022, 51, 16070-16081. (Highlighted as Journal front cover).
- A. Dao, R. Kushwaha, A. Kumar, H. Huang, Samya Banerjee*, Engineered exosomes as a photosensitizer delivery platform for cancer photodynamic therapy, ChemMedChem, 2022, 17, e202200119.
- A. Kumar, Samya Banerjee*, N. Sharma, M. Nazish, N. Graw, R. HerbstIrmer, D. Stalke, U. Lourderaj, H. W. Roesky, Synthesis and computational aspects of Al(II)-Al(II) and Ga(II)-Ga(II) dihalides based on an amidinate scaffold, Dalton trans. 2022, 51, 4898–4902.
- J Zhu, A Ouyang, J He, J Xie, Samya Banerjee*, Q Zhang, P Zhang, Ultrasound Activated Cyanine-Rhenium (I) Complex for Sonodynamic and Gas Synergistic Therapy, Chem. Commun. 2022, 58, 3314-3317.
- H. Huang, Z. Fan, J. Xie, T. Sadhukhan, C. Liang, C. Huang, W. Li, T. Li, P. Zhang, Samya Banerjee*, K. Raghavachari, Highly Efficient Ir (III)‐coumarin Photo‐redox Catalyst for Synergetic Multi‐mode Cancer Photo‐therapy, Chem. Eur. J. 2022, 28, e202103346.
- A. K. Yadav, N. Kumar, A. T. Khan, R. Kushwaha, Samya Banerjee*, Sonodynamic Therapy with Metal Complexes: A New Promise in Cancer Therapy. ChemMedChem 2022, 17, e202100615.
- F. Chen, I. Romero-Canelón, A. Habtemariam, J. Song, Samya Banerjee, G. J. Clarkson, L. Song, I. Prokes, P. J. Sadler, Effect of cysteine thiols on the catalytic and anticancer activity of Ru(II) sulfonyl-ethylenediamine complexes, Dalton Tran. 2022, 51, 4447–4457.
- Z. Fan, J. Huang, H. Huang, Samya Banerjee*, Metal-Based Catalytic Drug Development for Next-Generation Cancer Therapy. ChemMedChem 2021, 16, 2480-2486.
- Samya Banerjee*, Polypyridyl Ruthenium (II) Complexes with Red‐Shifted Absorption: New Promises in Photodynamic Therapy. ChemBioChem 2021, 22, 2407-2409.
- J. Zhu, A. Ouyang, Z. Shen, Z. Pan, Samya Banerjee, Q. Zhang, Y. Chen, P. Zhang, Sonodynamic cancer therapy by novel iridium-gold nanoassemblies, Chin. Chem. Lett., 2022, 33, 1907-1912.
- Samya Banerjee*, C. A. Kumar, S. Bose, S. K. Sarkar, S. K. Gupta, N. Graw, C. Köhler, R. H. Irmer, D. Stalke, S. Dutta, D. Koley, H. W. Roesky, Preparation and Reactivity Studies of Four and Five coordinated Amidinate Aluminum Compounds, Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 2021, 647, 1735–1743.
- C. Huang, C. Liang, T. Sadhukhan, Samya Banerjee, Z. Fan, T. Li, Z. Zhu, P. Zhang, K. Raghavachari, H. Huang, In‐vitro and In‐vivo Photocatalytic Cancer Therapy with Biocompatible Iridium (III) Photocatalysts, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 9474-9479.
Important Publications from Post-doc and Ph.D
- J. Armstrong, Samya Banerjee, V. Schünemann, J. A Wolny, P. J Sadler, Vibrational Motions Make Significant Contributions to Sequential Methyl C–H Activations in an Organometallic Complex. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2021, 12, 658–662.
- Samya Banerjee, S. Dutta, S. K. Sarkar, N. Graw, R. Herbst-Irmer, D. Koley, D. Stalke and H. W. Roesky, Amidinate based indium(III) monohalides and β-diketiminate stabilized In(II)-In(II) bond: Synthesis, crystal structureand computational study. Dalton Trans. 2020, 49, 14231- 14236.
- M. Siddiqui, Samya Banerjee#, S. Bose, S. K. Sarkar, S. Gupta, J. Kretsch, N. Graw, R. HerbstIrmer, D. Stalke, S. Dutta, D. Koley and H. Roesky, Cyclic (Alkyl)(Amino)Carbene Stabilized Aluminium and Gallium Radicals based on Amidinate Scaffolds. Inorg. Chem. 2020, 59, 11253- 11258. (# Equal contributing first author)
- T. Sarkar, A. Bhattacharyya, Samya Banerjee*, A. Hussain, LMCT transition-based red light photochemotherapy using a tumour-selective ferrocenyl iron(III) coumarin conjugate. Chem. Comm., 2020, 56, 7981-7984.
- W.-Y. Zhang, Samya Banerjee, G. M. Hughes, H. E. Bridgewater, J.-I. Song, B. Breeze, G. J. Clarkson, J. P. C. Coverdale, C. Sanchez-Cano, F. Ponte, E. Sicilia and P. J. Sadler, Ligand- centred redox activation of inert organoiridium anticancer catalysts. Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 5466- 5480.
- S. K. Sarkar, R. Chaliha, M. M. Siddiqui, Samya Banerjee, A. Münch, R. Herbst-Irmer, D. Stalke, E. D. Jemmis and H. W. Roesky, A Neutral Three‐Membered 2π Aromatic Disilaborirane and its Unique Conversion to a Four‐Membered BSi2N‐Ring. Angew. Chem. 2020, 132, 23215-23219.
- J. Brooks, J. Everett, F. Lermyte, V. T. Tjhin, Samya Banerjee, P. B O’Connor, C. M. Morris, P. J Sadler, N. D. Telling and J. F. Collingwood, Label‐free Nanoimaging of Neuromelanin in the Brain by Soft X‐ray Spectromicroscopy. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 11984-11991.
- H. Huang, Samya Banerjee#, K. Qiu, P. Zhang, O. Blacque, T. Malcomson, M. J. Paterson, G. J. Clarkson, M. Staniforth, V. G. Stavros, G. Gasser, H. Chao and P. J. Sadler, Targeted photoredox catalysis in cancer cells. Nat. Chem. 2019, 11, 1041-1048. (# Equal contributing first author)
- Samya Banerjee, A. Omlor, J. A. Wolny, Y. Han, F. Lermyte, A. E. Godfrey, P. B. O’Connor, V. Schünemann, M. Danaie and P. J. Sadler, Generation of maghemite nanocrystals from iron–sulfur centres. Dalton Trans. 2019, 48, 9564-9569.
- Samya Banerjee, M. Capper, G. J. Clarkson, H. Huang and P. J. Sadler, Dual-action Platinum(II) Schiff Base Complexes: Photocytotoxicity and Cellular Imaging. Polyhedron 2019, 172, 157- 166.
- Samya Banerjee, J. J. Soldevila-Barreda, J. A. Wolny, C. A. Wootton, A. Habtemariam, I. Romero-Canelón, F. Chen, G. J. Clarkson, I. Prokes, L. Song, P. B. O’Connor, V. Schünemann and P. J. Sadler, New Activation Mechanism for Half-sandwich Organometallic Anticancer Complexes. Chem. Sci., 2018, 9, 3177-3185.
- P. Zhang, H. Huang, Samya Banerjee, G. J. Clarkson, C. Ge, C. Imberti and P. J. Sadler, Nucleus- targeted organoiridium-albumin conjugate for photoactivated cancer therapy, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 2350-2354. (VIP Article; Highlighted in 23 European Newspapers).
- W-Y. Zhang, Samya Banerjee, C. Imberti, G. J. Clarkson, Q. Wang, Q. Zhong, L. S. Young, I. Romero-Canelón, M. Zheng, A. Habtemariam and P. J. Sadler Strategies for conjugating iridium(III) anticancer complexes to targeting peptides via copper-free click chemistry. Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2020, 503, 119396.
- R. Wang, K. Yang, Samya Banerjee and M. M. Greenberg, Rotational Effects within Nucleosome Core Particles on Abasic Site Reactivity. Biochemistry, 2018, 57, 3945-3952.
- B. Deka, A. Bhattacharyya, S. Mukherjee, T. Sarkar, K. Soni, Samya Banerjee*, K. K. Saikia, S. Deka and A. Hussain, Ferrocene conjugated copper(II) complexes of terpyridine and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) anticancer ligands showing selective toxicity towards cancer cells. Appl. Organometal. Chem., 2018, 34, e4287.
- Samya Banerjee, S. Chakraborty, M. P. Jacinto, M. D. Paul, M. V. Balster, and M. M. Greenberg, Probing Enhanced Double Strand Break Formation at Abasic Sites Within Clustered Lesions in Nucleosome Core Particles. Biochemistry, 2017, 56, 14-21.
- R. Paul, Samya Banerjee, and M. M. Greenberg, Synergistic Effects of an Irreversible DNA Polymerase Inhibitor and DNA Damaging Agents on HeLa Cells, ACS Chem. Biol., 2017, 12, 1576-1583. (Highlighted (“Spotlight”) in Chem. Res. Toxicol. 2017, 30, 1367-1368.)
- B. Deka, T. Sarkar, Samya Banerjee*, A. Kumar, S. Mukherjee, S. Deka, K. K. Saikia and Akhtar Hussain, Novel mitochondria targeted copper(II) complexes of ferrocenyl terpyridine and anticancer active 8-hydroxyquinolines showing remarkable cytotoxicity, DNA and protein binding affinity. Dalton Trans., 2017, 46, 396-409.
- T. Sarkar, Samya Banerjee*, S. Mukherjee and A. Hussain. Visible Light triggered Remarkable Photocytotoxic potential of a Dinuclear Iron(III) Complex of Curcumin to Cancer Cells. Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2016, 439, 8-17.
- T. Sarkar, Samya Banerjee*, S. Mukherjee and. A Hussain, Mitochondrial selectivity and remarkable photocytotoxicity of a ferrocenyl neodymium (iii) complex of terpyridine and curcumin in cancer cells. Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 6424-6438.
- Samya Banerjee, A. Dixit, A. Kumar, S. Mukherjee, A. A. Karande and A. R. Chakravarty. Photo- induced DNA Crosslink Formation by Dichloro Oxido-vanadium(IV) Complexes of Polypyridyl Bases. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2015, 3986-3990.
- Samya Banerjee, I. Pant, I. Khan, P. Prasad, A. Hussain, P. Kondaiah and A. R. Chakravarty. Remarkable enhancement in photocytotoxicity and hydrolytic stability of curcumin on binding to an oxovanadium(IV) moiety. Dalton Trans., 2015, 44, 4108-4122.
- Samya Banerjee, A. Dixit, A. A. Karande and A. R. Chakravarty. Remarkable Selectivity and Photo- cytotoxicity of an Oxidovanadium(IV) Complex of Curcumin in Visible Light. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2015, 447-457.
- T. Sarkar, Samya Banerjee*, A. Hussain. Unprecedented photocytotoxicity of a mitochondria targeting dipyridophenazine cobalt(III) curcumin complex binding to human serum albumin. RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 16641-16653.
- T. Sarkar, Samya Banerjee*, A. Hussain. Significant visible light-induced cytotoxicity of an iron(III) complex of a Schiff base ligand derived from thiosemicarbazide and vitamin B6. RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 29276-29284.
- Samya Banerjee, P. Prasad, A. Hussain, I. Khan, P. Kondaiah and A. R. Chakravarty. Remarkable photocytotoxicity of curcumin in HeLa cells in visible light and arresting its degradation on oxovanadium(IV) complex formation. Chem. Comm. 2012, 48, 7702-7704.
- Samya Banerjee, P. J. Sadler, Transfer hydrogenation catalysis in cells. RSC Chem. Biol., 2021, 2, 12-29. (Highlighted as Journal front cover).
- C. Huang, T. Li, J. Liang, H. Huang, P. Zhang, Samya Banerjee*, Recent advances in endoplasmic reticulum targeting metal complexes. Coord. Chem. Rev., 2020, 408, 213178.
- H. Huang, Samya Banerjee and P. J. Sadler, Recent advances in the design of targeted photosensitisers for photodynamic therapy. ChemBioChem, 2018, 19, 1574-1589.
- Samya Banerjee, A. R. Chakravarty, Metal Complexes of Curcumin for Cellular Imaging, Targeting and Photo-induced Anticancer Activity. Acc. Chem. Res., 2015, 48, 2075-2083.
- 2022 Dalton Division Horizon Prize by the Royal Society of Chemistry for pioneering work on catalysis of redox reactions in cancer cells by synthetic organometallic complexes.
- Newton International Fellowships Alumni 2022 the Royal Society, UK
- Newton International Fellowships Alumni 2021 the Royal Society, UK
- INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship from the Government of India in 2020.
- Got Energy Talent (GET) fellowship, 2019 from Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions (Horizon 2020).
- Madrid “Talentos” early career research grant 2019 from Madrid community research agency and Rey Juan Carlos University.
- FY2019 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan (Standard)" from Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- LabEx CelTisPhyBio Postdoctoral Fellowship from Institut Curie, France in 2019.
- Highly commended best poster award from EuroBic-14 by the Royal Society of Chemistry in Birmingham, UK, 2018.
- Newton International fellowship 2015 by the Royal Society, UK-SERB, India
- Singapore National Institute of Chemistry (SNIC) International Student Bursary Award at 41st International Conference on Co-ordination Chemistry (ICCC-41), Singapore, 2014.
- Vasudevamurthy-Soundararajan Prize 2010-11 for the best performance in the course work during Ph.D., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- Best Poster award at HUMBOLDT KOLLEG On Interdisciplinary Science: Catalyst for Sustainable Progress at Bangalore in September, 2014.
- Development of Photo-activated Transfer Hydrogenation Catalysis for Next Generation Cancer Therapy, DST-Inspire Faculty Fellowship, Government of India, (DST/INSPIRE/04/2019/000492), INR 35 Lakhs, 2021-2026.
- Bioactivation of Cyclopentadienyl Rings in Organometallic Complexes, Newton International Fellowships Alumni by the Royal Society, UK, (AL/211023), £ 11,970, 2021-2023.
- Development of Stable and Tethered Os(II)-based Catalysts for Reductive Stress Mediated Photo-catalytic Anticancer Activity, Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), (SRG/2022/000030), INR 29.23 Lakhs, 2022-2024.
- Proof of concept of developing in-cell reductive stress by Ir(III) transfer hydrogenation catalysts, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS), (54/14/09/2022-BRNS-R), INR 23 Lakhs, 2023-2026.
- Development of Ir(III)-Photocatalysts for Visible Light Induced Efficient Carbon Dioxide Reduction, Seed Grant, IIT (BHU), INR 10 Lakhs, 2021-2022 (Completed).
Dr. Samya Banerjee
Assistant Professor IIT (BHU), Varanasi
Ashish Kumar Yadav
Arif Ali Mandal
Ashish K. Maurya
|M. Sc. Students|
Samir Kr Halder
B.Tech.: IIT BHU
Mohammad Sabeel K
|Ashish Kumar||Project Assitant||Ph.D. @ University of Houston (USA)|
Trainee (Aragen Life science)
Trainee (Aragen Life science)
B.Tech. IIT (BHU)
1. Chemistry I (CY101)
2. Chemistry II (CY102)
3. Chemistry of Transition and Inner Transition Elements (CY-405)
4. Transition and Inner Transition Elements (CHI-341)
5. Chemistry of Coordination Compounds (CHI-241)
6. Chemistry of Coordination Compounds (CY-408)
7. Organometallic Chemistry (CHI-441)
8. Organometallic Chemistry (CY-501)
9. Bioinorganic Chemistry (CY-521)
10. Inorganic Chemistry M.Sc Lab-I (CY-492)
11. Inorganic Chemistry M.Sc Lab-II (CY-495)