Dr. Swapnil Patil
I completed my Ph.D. at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai in 2010. Currently, I am working as an Assistant Professor in Department of Physics IIT (BHU) since October 2015. My research interest mainly comprises of understanding the microscopic origin of various novel condensed matter phenomena like e.g. Kondo effect/heavy fermion behavior, unconventional superconductivity, topological order in condensed matter, quantum criticality etc. To this end, we primarily use electron spectroscopy-based techniques for investigating the electronic structure of those systems which is known to give rise to these interesting properties at the macroscopic level. Subsequently we also perform electronic structure calculations for those systems using density functional theory (DFT) in order to better understand the experimental data.
Recently we have ventured into single crystal growth of materials in parallel to the above. The single crystals successfully grown so far comprise of the topological insulator compounds like Bi2Se3, Bi2Te3 and Sb2Te3 and their derivatives etc.
- Sambhab Dan, Shiv Kumar, Shovan Dan, Debarati Pal, S. Patil, Abhineet Verma, Satyen Saha, Kenya Shimada and S. Chatterjee, Unraveling the obscure electronic transition and tuning of Fermi level in Cu substituted Bi2Te3 compound, Applied Physics Letters 120, 022105 (2022).
- Debarati Pal, Shiv Kumar, Prashant Shahi, Sambhab Dan, Abhineet Verma, Vinod K. Gangwar, Mahima Singh, Sujoy Chakravarty, Yoshiya Uwatoko, Satyen Saha, Swapnil Patil and Sandip Chatterjee, Defect induced ferromagnetic ordering and room temperature negative magnetoresistance in MoTeP, Scientific Reports 11, 9104 (2021).
- S. Patil, V. R. R. Medicherla, Khadiza Ali, R. S. Singh, P. Manfrinetti, F. Wrubl, S. K. Dhar and Kalobaran Maiti, Observation of pseudogap in MgB2, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 29, 465504 (2017).
- S. Patil, A. Generalov, M. Güttler, P. Kushwaha, A. Chikina, K. Kummer, T. C. Rödel, A. F. Santander-Syro, N. Caroca-Canales, C. Geibel, S. Danzenbächer, Y. Kucherenko, C. Laubschat, J. W. Allen and D. V. Vyalikh, ARPES view on surface and bulk hybridization phenomena in the antiferromagnetic Kondo lattice CeRh2Si2, Nature Communications 7, 11029 (2016).
- K. Kummer, S. Patil, A. Chikina, M. Güttler, M. Höppner, A. Generalov, S. Danzenbächer, S. Seiro, A. Hannaske, C. Geibel, C. Krellner, Yu. Kucherenko, M. Shi, M. Radovic, E. Rienks, G. Zwicknagl, K. Matho, J.W. Allen, C. Laubschat and D. V. Vyalikh, Temperature independent Fermi surface in the Kondo lattice YbRh2Si2, Phys. Rev. X 5, 011028 (2015).
- S. Patil, A. Generalov and A. Omar, The unexpected absence of Kondo resonance in the photoemission spectrum of CeAl2, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 25, 382205 (2013).
- Swapnil Patil, V. R. R. Medicherla, R. S. Singh, E. V. Sampathkumaran and Kalobaran Maiti, Evolution of the Kondo resonance feature and its relationship to spin-orbit coupling across the quantum critical point in Ce2Rh1−xCoxSi3, EuroPhys. Lett. 97, 17004 (2012).
- Swapnil Patil, V. R. R. Medicherla, R. S. Singh, Sudhir K. Pandey, E. V. Sampathkumaran, and Kalobaran Maiti, Kondo resonance in a magnetically ordered compound Ce2RhSi3: Photoemission spectroscopy and ab initio band structure calculations, Phys. Rev. B 82, 104428 (2010).
- Swapnil Patil, Kartik K. Iyer, K. Maiti, and E. V. Sampathkumaran, Behavior of magnetic ordering and the Kondo effect in the alloys Ce2Rh1−xCoxSi3, Phys. Rev. B 77, 094443 (2008).
- K. Maiti, V. R. R. Medicherla, S. Patil and R. S. Singh, Revelation of the role of impurities and conduction electron density in the high resolution photoemission study of ferromagnetic hexaborides, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 266401 (2007).
For a complete list of publications please refer to Dr. Swapnil Patil - Google Scholar
- Scored highest marks in Physics at the Bachelors of Science (B.Sc.) examination, University of Mumbai, 2002.
- Bhavesh Gandhi award for best M.Sc. project, I.I.T. Mumbai, 2004.
- All India Rank One (AIR-1) in Physics in Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering, India, 2004 (GATE-2004).
- All India Rank One (AIR-1) in the Joint Entrance Screening Test, India 2004. (JEST-2004).
- Shyama Prasad Mukherjee fellowship by CSIR India, 2004-2009.
- T.A.A. Geetha Udgaonkar Award 2011 for best PhD thesis in Physics, T.I.F.R., Mumbai, India.
- Alexander von Humboldt postdoctoral fellowship by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Germany, 2011-2013.
- Best Poster Award at the International Conference ‘Frontiers in Advanced Materials (FAM-2015)’ held at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India from June 15-18, 2015. The Poster Title: Photoemission insight into exotic low temperature physics of Kondo/heavy fermion systems.
Courses undertaken by me so far.
1] PHY-221: Condensed matter physics
2] PHY-201: Instrumentation, measurement and analysis
3] PHY101: Classical, Quantum and Relativistic mechanics
4] PHY-503: Advanced Experimental Physics
5] PHY-524: Advanced Condensed Matter physics and Material Science.
6] PHY-421: Advanced Condensed Matter physics
7] PHY521: Low Dimensional Physics
8] PYM-406: Condensed Matter Physics-I