Dr. Girija Shankar Mohobia
Dr. GS Mahobia is graduated ( Met. Engg.) in 2001 from GEC-Raipur (now NIT-Raipur); post graduated ( Met.Engg.) in 2003 from IT-BHU (Now IIT-BHU) Varanasi and obtained doctoral degree ( Met. Engg.) in 2013 from Department of Metallurgical Engineering, IIT-BHU, Varanasi. He joined M/s Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL) - Raigarh (CG) in 2003 as an engineer in DRI plant. He has obtained experience in operating 300MT rotary kiln for sponge iron production. Dr. Mahobia joined M/s Larsen and Toubro Ltd.-Heavy Engineering Division (HED) - Surat (Gujarat) in 2004 as a PGET and rose to the level of Assistant Manager in Welding Engineering and Metallurgy. He had contributed significantly in the area of welding development, heat treatment and failure analysis up to the period of 2007. He has been awarded 1st Rank in 'Manthan' ( a focussed improvement system), 2005 and a certificate of merit for the implementation of GMAW process of welding for the first time in L&T-Surat. He has also qualified as a Six Sigma Green Belt in 2006 by Qimpro College-USA. Dr. Mahobia, joined Metallurgical Engineering Department (IT-BHU) as Lecturer on 17th September 2007 and promoted to Associate Professor in 16thOctober 2015. He is the Coordinator of Corrosion Fatigue Laboratory and Industrial Metallurgy Division in the Department of Metallurgical Engineering, IIT(BHU).
Experience : Teaching >15 years, Industry >4 years
Teaching interest :
- Metal Joining Technology
- Steel Making Technologies
- Alternative Routes of iron and Steel Making
- Iron Making Technologies
Research interest :
- Fatigue and Corrosion Fatigue
- Hot Corrosion, Metal Dusting and oxidation
- Iron and Steel Making [Sponge Iron (DRI) making, Pellet/Sinter]
- Nitrogen and Manganese stabilized stainless steel for biomedical applications
- Welding Metallurgy of ferrous alloys (pressure vessel steel, stainless steel)
- Pramod Kumar, G. S. Mahobia, Vakil Singh & Kausik Chattopadhyay, Low cycle fatigue behaviour of Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy in ultrasonic shot peened and stress relieved condition, International Journal of Fatigue, (166), January 2023, 107289
- Chandra Shekhar Kumar and Girija Shankar Mahobia Behavior of 316L Stainless Steel Under Static and Dynamic loading conditions, Journal of Engineering Research (Kuwat) ICAPIE Special Issue, pp. 19-26, 2022, DOI:10.36909/jer.ICAPIE.15039.
- Sharvan Kumar, Dheeraj Jaiswal, CK Behera and GS Mahobia, Potentiodynamic corrosion behavior of Fe-18Cr-21Mn-0.65N austenitic stainless steel exposed at 400-700℃, Materials Chemistry and Physics; 290 (2022) 126568
- Biswajit Mishra, Amit Kumar Singh, Lakkoju Sankara Rao, and G. S. Mahobia, Reducibility and Kinetic studies of Pellets made from a novel Multimetallic Magnetite ore, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (TIIMS) 2022, DOI:10.1007/s12666-022-02721-3.
- Ram ji Omar, Raj Kumar Dishwar, Biswajit Mishra, A. K. Mandal, G. S. Mahobia & O. P. Sinha, Characterization of Multi-Metallic Magnetite Mineral of Nagaland Region in North-East India, Metallurgy and Exploration, 5(2021), 1-8.
- Biswajit Mishra, Raj K. Dishwar Ram J. Omar ,G. S. Mahobia, Hardening behaviour of pellets prepared from a novel combination of multi-mineral magnetite ore and binder, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (TIIMS) 2021, 74(8) 2049-2055.
- Pramod Kumar, Sumantra Mandal, DDN Singh, G. S. Mahobia, Vakil Singh&Kausik Chattopadhyay, Enhanced corrosion resistance of the surface modified Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy by ultrasonic shot peening, Corrosion Science, 2021(189), 109597.
- Kumar, Sharvan; Mishra, Ankitendran; Mohan, Sunil; Mahobia, Girija, The solid particle erosion of pre oxidized high manganese extremely low nickel austenitic stainless steel (18Cr-21Mn-0.65N-Fe) at 400 to 700°C.", Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties 2021 (9), 035002.
- Chandra Shekhar Kumar, Gaurav Singh, R S Nilima, S Poddar, A Poddar, S Mahto, A Rastogi, K Chattopadhyay,Vakil Singh and Girija Shankar Mahobia, High-manganese and nitrogen stabilized austenitic stainless steel (Fe-18Cr-22Mn-0.65N): a material with a bright future for orthopedic implant devices, Biomedical Materials, 16 (6) 065011, September 2021.
- Manish Deo, S P Tewari, Girija Shankar Mohobia, Optimization Of GMAW Welding Parameters for Micro-Alloyed A572 Gr.50 Steel, International journal of mechanical and production engineering research and Development, 3(10)2020.
- Manish Deo, S P Tewari, Girija Shankar Mohobia, Behaviour Of HAZ and Weld Bead Under Different Welding Condition for A572 Gr 50 Steel, International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering and Technology, 6(11) (2020) 646-655.
- Sharvan Kumarand GS Mahobia, The features of metal dusting process in the extremely low nickel austenitic stainless steel (18Cr-21Mn-0.65N-Fe), Corrosion Science, 176, 108926(2020)1-14.
- Sharvan Kumarand GS Mahobia, Cyclic oxidation of Fe-Fe-18Cr-21Mn-0.65N Austenitic stainless steel at 400 to 700°C, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (TIIMS), 2020,1-14.
- Chandra Shekhar Kumar, Girija Shankar Mahobia, Kausik Chattopadhyay and Vakil Singh, Enhancement of low cycle fatigue life of high nitrogen austenitic stainless steel at low strain amplitude through ultrasonic shot peening, Materials Today Communications, 25, 101576 (2020) 1-12.
- Pramod Kumar, G. S. Mahobia, Vakil Singh&Kausik Chattopadhyay, Lowering of elastic modulus in the near-beta Ti–13Nb–13Zr alloy through heat treatment, Materials Science and Technology, 36 (6)(2020) 717-725.
- M.K.K. Singh, S. Kumar, O.P. Sinha, Vakil Singh & G.S. Mahobia, Cyclic Oxidation Behavior of the Super Austenitic Stainless Steel 904L in Air at 500–650 °C, Transaction of the Indian Institute of Metals, 2020.
- Chandra Shekhar Kumar, Girija Shankar Mahobia and K Chattopadhyay, Effect of ultrasonic shot peening on strain controlled fatigue behaviour of low nickel austenitic stainless steel, Materials Today Proceedings, 28(2020) 808-812.
- Pramod Kumar, G S Mahobia, V Singh and K Chattopadhyay, Surface Nanocrystallization of beta-titanium Alloy by Ultrasonic Shot Peening, Materials Today Proceedings, 28 (2020) 486-490.
- Chandra Shekhar Kumar,G.S.Mahobia, A. Podddar, S.Kumar, R.K.Agrawal, K. Chattopadhyay, Vakil Singh, Role of ultrasonic shot peening on microstructure, hardness and corrosion resistance of nitrogen stabilised stainless steel without nickel, Materials Research Express 6 (2019) 096578 .
- M.K.K. Singh, G.S. Mahobia, O.P. Sinha and Vakil Singh, Effect of synthetic biomass ash on high temperature corrosion behavior of super austenitic stainless steel 904L, Materials Research Express, 6 (2019) 0965d3, 1-16.
- Pramod Kumar, G.S. Mahobia, Vakil Singh, K. Chattopadhyay, LCF life improvement of biomedical Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy through surface nanostructuring, Materials Research Express, 6 (2019) 125413, 1-14.
- Sharvan Kumar, BiswajeetSatapathy, Dhananjay Pradhan andGS Mahobia, Effect of surface modification on the hot corrosion resistance of Inconel 718 at 700°C, Materials Research Express, 6(2020) 085649,1-14.
- Dhananjay Pradhan; Girija Shankar Mahobia; K Chattopadhyay.; Fernando, D; Paulose, Neeta; Babu, S N; and Vakil Singh, Effect of stress ratio and mean stress on high cycle fatigue behavior of the superalloy IN718 at elevated temperatures, Materials Research Express, 6(2020) 0965a6, 1-10.
- PramodKumar, K Chattopadhyay Girija Shankar Mahobia, Enhancement in fatigue life of Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy for biomedical application, Key Engineering Materials,813(2019) 122-128.
- Girija Shankar Mahobia, Chandra Shekhar Kumar, K Chattopadhyay,Nanocrystallisation of Nickel Free High Nitrogen Austenitic Stainless Steel through Ultrasonic Shot Peening, Key Engineering Materials, 813(2019) 43-48.
- D. Pradhan, G.S. Mahobia, K. Chattopadhyay, Vakil Singh, Severe Hot Corrosion of the Superalloy IN718 in Mixed Salts of Na2SO4 and V2O5 at 700° C, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 27 (8) (2018)4235-4243.
- D. Pradhan, G.S. Mahobia, K Chattopadhyay, Vakil Singh, Effect of pre hot corrosion on high cycle fatigue behavior of the superalloy IN718 at 600° C, International Journal of Fatigue 114 (2018) 120-129.
- D. Pradhan, G.S. Mahobia, K Chattopadhyay, Vakil Singh, Effect of surface roughness on corrosion behavior of the superalloy IN718 in simulated marine environment, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 740 (2018) 250-263.
- Raj Kumar Dishwar, Shavi Agrawal, A.K. Mandal ,G.S. Mahobia, And O.P. Sinha, Effect of Reduced Flux Iron Ore Pellets on Removal of Impurities from Pig Iron During Induction Melting: A New Phenomenon, JOM, The Journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS),6(70)2020, 977-981.
- Dhananjay Pradhan, Girija Shankar Mahobia, Kausik Chattopadhyay and Vakil Singh, Salt induced corrosion behaviour of superalloy IN718, Materials Today: Proceedings,5(2018) 7047-7054.
- Sanjeev Kumar,K. Chattopadhyay,G. S. Mahobia, Vakil Singh, Hot corrosion behaviourofTi–6Al–4Vmodiﬁedbyultrasonicshotpeening,MaterialsandDesign110 (2016) 196–206.
- PreetiVerma,SudhakarRaoG.,P.Chellapandi,G.S.Mahobia,KausikChattopadhyay, N.C. Santhi Srinivas, Dynamic strain Ageing, Deformation and fracture behaviour of modified 9Cr-1Mo steel, Materials Sciene and Engineering A, 621 (2015)39-51.
- Sudhakar R G., PreetiVerma, Jayanta K Chakravartty, SaibabaNudurupati, G S Mahobia, Santhi S N.C., Vakil Singh, Inverse strain rate effect on cyclic stress response in annealed Zircaloy-2, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 457 (2015)330–342.
- G. S. Mahobia, Neeta Paulose, K. Sreekanth, S. L. Mannan, G. Sudhakar Rao, Vakil Singh, Effect of Saline Environment on LCF Behavior of Inconel 718 at 550 °C, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 24 (2015)338-344.
- G.S. Mahobia, Neeta Paulose, S.L. Mannan, R.G. Sudhakar, K. Chattopadhyay, N.C. Santhi Srinivas, Vakil Singh, “Effect of hot corrosion on low cycle fatigue behavior of superalloy IN718”,International Journal of Fatigue 59 (2014) 272–281.
- G. SudhakarRao,J.K.Chakravartty, N. Saibaba, G.S. Mahobia, KausikChattopadhyay,N.C. Santhi Srinivas, Vakil Singh, Disappearance and reappearance of serrated plastic flow under cyclic loading: A study of dislocation substructures, Materials Science & Engineering A 603 (2014) 114–120.
- Sanjeev Kumar, R.G. Sudhakar, K. Chattopadhyay, GS Mahobia, N.C. Santhi Srinivas, and Vakil Singh, Effect of Surface Nanostructure on Tensile Behaviour of Superalloy IN718, Materials and Design,62(2014) 76-82.
- G.S. Mahobia, Sudhakar R.G, Ajesh Antony, Neeta Paulose, Tamil Selvi, K. Chattopadhyay, N.C. Santhi Srinivas &Vakil Singh, Effect of Salt Coating on Low Cycle Fatigue Behavior of Nickel Based Superalloy GTM-SU-IN718, Procedia Engineering 55 (2013) 830-834.
- G. Sudhakar Rao, J.K. Chakravarthy, N. Saibaba, G.S. Mahobia, K.Chattopadhyay, N.C. Santhi Srinivas, Vakil Singh, Low cycle fatigue behavior of Zircaloy-2, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2013 441(1–3)(2013) 455–467.
- G.S. Mahobia, Neeta Paulose, Vakil Singh, Hot Corrosion Behavior of Superalloy IN718 at 550 and 650 °C, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 22 (8) (2013) 2418-2435
- G. S. Mahobia, Neeta Paulose, S. L. Mannan, K. Chattopadhyay, N. C. Santhi Srinivas, Vakil Singh, Tensile Behavior of Alloy 718 in Hot Corrosive Environment, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 22 (12), (2013) 3810-3817.
Research Projects: 11 (Completed: 8, In progress: 3):
|S.No.||Period||Sponsoring Organization||Title of Project||Amount of Grant (Rs.)||PI/Co-PI|
|Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) – Bangalore||Study on effect of temperature and mean stress on fatigue strength of turbine aero foil alloy||2,81,90,000||PI|
|Naval Research Laboratory (NRB)||Stability of Nanostructure and Residual Stress Developed through Ultrasonic Shot Peening in Superalloy IN718 at Elevated Temperatures||28,86,800||Co-PI|
|Ministry of steel, Steel Development Fund, Govt. of India||Development of nickel free high nitrogen austenitic stainless steels for biomedical applications||2,84,44,800||PI|
|Ministry of steel, Steel Development Fund, Govt. of India||Setting up an Advance Research center for Iron and steel at IIT(BHU)||30,98,00,000||Co-PI|
|Design and Innovation centre (DIC) - IIT (BHU)||Design and development of hot corrosion test facility to study hot corrosion behaviour of materials used in marine environment.||3,00,000||PI|
|Design and Innovation Hub-IIT (BHU)||Biocomapbility of indigenously developed High Nitrogen Stainless Steel||40,000||PI|
|7||2014-2015 (Completed)||IIT (BHU)-Varanasi under ‘sprouting grant for faculty (SGF)’||Hot deformation behavior of indigenously developed nitrogen bearing stainless steels for critical applications||20,00,000||Co-PI|
|8||2014 -15 (Completed)||Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) – Bangalore||Effect of Mean Stress on High Cycle Fatigue (HCF) Properties of GTM-SU-718 Alloy||9,06,000||Co-PI and PI|
|9||2010-11 (Completed)||Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) – Bangalore||Exploratory work on LCF testing of GTM-SU-718 in salt environment||6,85,000||Co-PI and PI|
|Board of Research in Nuclear Science (BRNS) – (Mumbai)||Evaluation of cyclic deformation behavior of structural materials for advanced nuclear applications||71,93,000||Co-PI|
|IT-BHU, Varanasi||Hot deformation behavior of high nitrogen stainless steel||45,000||PI|
- Life Member Indian Institute of Metals (IIM)-Kolkata
- Life Member Electron Microscopy Society of India (EMSI)-Mumbai
- Life Member Mahamana Malaviya Foundation, Varanasi
- Life Member Indian Nuclear Society (INS)-Mumbai
- 1994 batch Research Excellence Fellowship Award in Metallurgical Engineering instituted by the alumni of 1994 batch 2022
- Outstanding Faculty in Metallurgical Engineering' , 7th Venus International Science and Technology Awards – VISTA 2021. Chennai 6th November 2021.
- Behind the teachers desk Award (BTTD) (2019) from M.Tech project
- Long Service (8years) honor in the hostel sector from Chairman Council of Wardens (2018)
- Behind the teachers desk Award (BTTD) (2013) from B.Tech project
- First rank in Ferrous metallurgy project (2012)
- Green belt in six sigma (2006)
- Ranked First in ‘Manthan’-L&T-Surat (2005)
- Best student award in Metallurgical Engineering, GEC-Raipur (2000)
Corrosion Fatigue Laboratory :
1. 100kN Material Test System (MTS-USA): Low Cycle Fatigue, High Cycle Fatigue test in air and corrosive media both at room and high temperatures.
2. Hot corrosion set up: Two Zone Tube furnace (1200°C) and Salt coating/spray Unit
3. Heat treatment furnace up to 1200°C
Industrial Metallurgy Division (Iron and Steel Making):
1. Rolling Mill (50T capacity)
2. Plasma Melting Furnace (2.5Kg)
3. Heating furnaces and Ovens [100-1200°C]
4. Raw material preparation units (pellets/sinter) - Crusher, grinders
5. Testing facility - Angle of repose, Density and porosity measurement, Shatter strength, Tumbler strength, Cold crushing strength, Reduction and Swelling behavior, Viscosity and flash point measurement, Proximate and Ultimate analysis.
6. Multicut saw
PhD : Awarded (5), Submitted (1), In progress (2)
|S.N.||Details of students||Title of the thesis||Superviosr/
|1||(Late) Dr. Dhananjay Pradhan||Hot corrosion and HCF behavior of superalloy IN718||Supervisor||2018||Awarded
|2||Dr. Manish Kumar Kishore Singh||Oxidation and hot corrosion behavior of 904L superautenitic stainless steel in Biomass ash enviornment||Supervisor||2020||Awarded|
|3||Dr Chandrashekhar Kumar||Development of 'Ni free' nitrogen stabilized austenitic stainless steel for biomedical applications||Supervisor||2022||Awarded|
|4||Dr Sharvan Kumar||High temperature oxidation, Metal dusting, Erosion and Corrosion behavior of 'Ni free' Fe-18Cr-21Mn-0.65N austenitic stainless steel||Supervisor||2022||Awarded|
|5||Mr Biswajit Mishra||Pelletization of Multi-Metallic Magnetite Iron Ore||Supervisor||-||In Progress
Mr Manish Deo
|Effect of GMAW parameters on the behavior of Heat Affected Zone of C-Mn Steel and 316L SS||Co-Supervisor||-||Thesis Submitted|
|7||Dr Pramod Kumar||Corrosion and low cycle fatigue behavior of surface modified Ti-13Nb-13Zr alloy||Co-supervisor||-||Awarded|
|8||Mr Arpit Gupta||High Cycle Fatigue properties of superalloy CM247DS||Supervisor||In Progress|
|SI No.||Organization||Designation||From||To||Roles and Responsibilities|
|1||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Administrative Warden||31-03-2014||26-05-2018||Hostel Management|
|2||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Warden||01-06-2010||30-03-2014||Hostel Management|
|3||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||DUGC Convener||2016||2018||UG students matters|
|4||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Course Coordinator||18.02.2019||23.02.2019||QIP STC and CEP on
‘Metallurgical Failures’ (MF 2019).
|5||Kendriya vidyalaya, BHU, Varanasi||In-charge Nominee Chairman||05.06.2010
|6||Industrial Metallurgy Division, Met. Engg.||Coordinator||01.09.2020||Present||UG/PG Lab activity|
|7||Corrosion fatigue Laboratory, Met. Engg||Coordinator||01.01.2017||Present||Research activity|