Dr. Arnab Sarkar is an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering in IIT (BHU), Varanasi. He completed his Master of Mechanical Engineering in Fluid Mechanics from Jadavpur University in 2003. He was awarded University Gold Medal and Sarojini Radhakantha Memorial Gold Medal for securing the highest marks in the department of mechanical engineering as well as entire engineering faculty. Subsequently, he joined in Mechanical Engineering of the erstwhile IT-BHU as an Assistant Professor in 2004. He was awarded DAAD Doctoral Fellowship and through which he pursued his doctoral research in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Sciences at Ruhr-University Bochum Germany from 2007 to 2009. His topic was related to wind climate modeling and building aerodynamics. During his DAAD supported stay in Germany he also received Stibet fellowship during the winter semester of 2008-09.
After returning to India he was elected as an executive member of Indian Society of Wind Engineering. The award was conferred during 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering held on December, 2013 in Chennai where he also chaired a session. He was invited in IIT, Delhi during Indo German Symposium of Sustainable Urban Built Environment sponsored by the Ministry of Education in Germany to deliver his ideas regarding Indo-German collaboration of the said topic in 2012. At the same time, he also started his first project in the capacity of Principal Investigator regarding wind climatology sponsored by BRNS, Govt. of India which he completed on March, 2018. He along with some of his colleagues established Centre for Energy and Resources Development in Mechanical Engineering of IIT (BHU) which is a Centre of Excellence sponsored by MHRD. Currently, he is mentoring one project of the centre regarding the gasification of biomass. He is also mentoring several projects regarding Renewable Energy.
He became the member of the Bureau of Indian Standard (CED57) in 2015. In that capacity he suggested a new codal provision in IS 15498 for designing cyclonic resistant structures. His amendments were accepted in BIS meeting held on March, 2018. However, he along with two committee members is currently working to implement the same. Subsequently, he became the Convener of IS 15498 according to the minutes of BIS meeting held on November, 2018.
He has published 26 research articles in reputed journals such as Renewable Energy, Energy, Hydrogen Energy, Fuel, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Analyst (Royal Society of Chemistry), Biomicrofluidics (AIP) and so on. He also presented 27 articles in national and international conferences. He mentored 25 M.Tech as well as one Ph.D. thesis and is currently supervising 5 Ph.D students. He was in IIT, Kharagpur under Sabbatical Leave during 2018-2019 to pursue his postdoctoral research in the area of microfluidics. In collaboration with IIT, Kharagpur, he has recently developed a blood test kit for Complete Blood Count (CBC) on a portable spinning disc which has wide media coverage.
- Master of Engineering, Jadavpur University (Gold Medalist)
- DAAD Doctoral Fellow, Ruhr-University Bocum, Germany
Ph.D. Thesis Guided:
Completed: G.K. Gugliani
Ongoing: R.K. Singh, V.K. Sonker, A.S. Pareta, M. Prakash, R. Ram
M.Tech./M.Tech.(IDD) Thesis Guided: 25 (Completed)
Research Publication data
Journal Papers published:19 (Published)
Conference Papers published: 26
Best 5 Journal Publications
- Gugliani GK, Sarkar A, Ley C, Mandal S. New methods to assess wind resources in terms of wind speed, load, power and direction, Renewable Energy, 2018; 129:168-182, IF 5.439
- Prakash M, Sarkar A, Sarkar J, Mondal SS, Chakraborty JP. Proposal and design of a new biomass based syngas production system integrated with combined heat and power generation, Energy, 2017; 133: 986-997, IF 5.537
- Singh RK, Sarkar A, Chakraborty JP. Effect of torrefaction on the physicochemical properties of pigeon pea stalk (Cajanus cajan) and estimation of kinetic parameters, Renewable Energy, 2019; 138: 805-819, IF 5.439
- Prakash M, Sarkar A, Sarkar J, Mondal SS, Chakraborty JP, Sahoo RR. Performance assessment of novel biomass gasification based CCHP systems integrated with syngas production, Energy, 2019; 167:379-390, IF 5.537
- Agarwal R, Sarkar A, Chakraborty S. Interplay of Coriolis Effect with Rheology Results in Unique Blood Dynamics on a Compact Disk, Analyst, 2019; DOI: 10.1039/C9AN00645A, IF 4.019
Journal Papers published in last 5 years (2014-onwards)
- Gugliani GK, Sarkar A, Ley C, Mandal S. New methods to assess wind resources in terms of wind speed, load, power and direction, Renewable Energy, 2018; 129:168-182.
- Prakash M, Sarkar A, Sarkar J, Mondal SS, Chakraborty JP. Proposal and design of a new biomass based syngas production system integrated with combined heat and power generation, Energy, 2017; 133: 986-997.
- Singh RK, Sarkar A, Chakraborty JP. Effect of torrefaction on the physicochemical properties of pigeon pea stalk (Cajanus cajan) and estimation of kinetic parameters, Renewable Energy, 2019; 138: 805-819.
- Prakash M, Sarkar A, Sarkar J, Mondal SS, Chakraborty JP, Sahoo RR. Performance assessment of novel biomass gasification based CCHP systems integrated with syngas production, Energy, 2018; 167: 379-390.
- Singh RK, Sarkar A, Chakraborty JP. Influence of Alternate Fuels on the Performance and Emission from Internal Combustion Engines and Soot Particle Collection using Thermophoretic Sampler: A Comprehensive Review, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 2018; DOI: 10.1007/s12649-018-0338-2.
- Gugliani GK, Sarkar A, Mandal S, Agrawal V. Location wise comparison of mixture distributions for assessment of wind power potential: A parametric study, International Journal of Green Energy, 2017; 14(9): 737-753.
- Sarkar A, Gugliani G, Deep S. Weibull model for wind speed data analysis of different locations in India, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 2017; 21(7): 2764-2776.
- Sarkar A, Kumar N, Mitra D. Extreme wind climate modeling of some locations in India for the specification of the design wind speed of structures, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 2014; 18(5): 1496-1504.
- Singh NK, Sarkar A, Deo A, Gautam K, Rai SK. Estimation of suitable methodology for determining Weibull parameters for the vortex shedding analysis of synovial fluid, Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, 2016; 37(1): 21-30.
- Sarkar A, Mondal SS. External and internal irreversibility on the example of heat engine, Resonance: A Journal of Science Education, 2018; 23(5): 535-544.
- Gugliani GK, Sarkar A, Bhadani S, Mandal S. A novel approach for accurate assessment of design wind speed for variable wind climate, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 2018; 23(2):608-623.
- Agarwal R, Sarkar A, Chakraborty S. Interplay of Coriolis Effect with Rheology Results in Unique Blood Dynamics on a Compact Disk, Analyst, 2019; DOI: 10.1039/C9AN00645A
- Poddar S, Parasa MK, Vajanthri KY, Chaudhary A, Pancholi UV, Sarkar A, Singh AK, Mahto SK. Low Density Culture of Mammalian Primary Neurons in Compartmentalized Microfluidic Devices, Biomedical Microdevices, 2019; DOI: 10.1007/s10544-019-0400-2
- Sarkar A, Deep S, Datta D, Vijaywargiya A, Roy R, Phanikanth VS. Weibull and Generalized Extreme Value Distributions for Wind Speed Data Analysis of Some Locations in India, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 2019; DOI: 10.1007/s12205-019-1538-4
Invited Magazine Articles
- Sarkar J, Sarkar A. Natural Ventilation and Clean Indoor Environment, Cooling India, 2017; Vol. 12, No. 10, p. 48.
- Sarkar J, Sarkar A. Wind Driven Ventilation: A Holistic Approach of Cooling, Cooling India, 2017; Vol. 13, No. 2, p. 40.
Selected Conference Publications (2013-onwards)
- Sarkar A, Mahato J. Specification of design wind speed for cyclone events in India, 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Structural Engineering Research Centre, December 2013, Chennai, India.
- Sarkar A, Singh AK. Wind climate modeling for estimation of along wind load, 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Structural Engineering Research Centre, December 2013, Chennai, India.
- Sarkar A, Gugliani G, Agrawal V, Mitra D. Wind climate modeling of India for specification of design wind and fatigue load, 14th International Conference on Wind Engineering, June 2015, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- Gugliani GK, Sarkar A, Gupta A, Mandal S, Prince. Determination of cyclonic factor in different wind zones of India, 9th Asia Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, December 2017, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Singh RK, Sarkar A, Chakraborty JP, Effect of torrefaction on the physicochemical properties of piegeon pea stalk (cajanus cajan), TCS 2018, Alabama, USA.
Conference Proceeding Edited
Mandal S, Kumar R, Maiti PR, Sarkar A, Prasad K, Kumar S. Proceedings of 8th National Conference on Wind Engineering, 2016.
1. International Workshop on Energy and Resources Development, May 2015, IIT (BHU), Varanasi, Role: Convener
2. 8th National Conference on Wind Engineering, December 2016, IIT (BHU), Varanasi, Role: Organizing Secretary and Treasurer
Developed and transferred technology regarding cyclonic factor to Beauro of Indian Standard (BIS) for the revision of IS 15498 (Guidelines for improving the cyclonic resistance of low-rise houses and other buildings) and Dr. Arnab Sarkar has been included as a member of IS 15498 of CED 57 for implementing the revision of the code.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Indian Society for Wind Engineering
- International Association of Wind Engineering
- Association of Engineers
- Indian Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers
Reviewer in Applied Energy (Elsevier), Energy Conversion and Management (Elsevier), Energy (Elsevier), Wind Energy (Wiley),Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, Journal of King Saud Arabia (Elsevier), International Journal of Sediment Research (Elsevier), Internal Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer), International Journal of Green Energy (Taylor & Francis), International Journal of Ambient Research (Taylor & Francis), Defense Science Journal, IEEE Sensor
|Sl. No.||Title of the project||Sanction No.||Total cost (Lacs)||Agency||Present status||Role (PI/Co-PI)|
|1||Study on Wind Climatology on Slender Structures using Weibull and Generalized Extreme Value Distribution||2012/36/65-BRNS/2934||28.19||BRNS, Department of Atomic Energy||Completed||PI|
|2||Centre for Energy and Resources Development||-||244||MHRD (Under FAST scheme)||Ongoing||Member /Co-PI|
|3||Harvesting Renewable Energy through Gasification of Biomass||-||8||CERD, IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Ongoing
|4||Wind Simulation for Fatigue Failure Analysis and Design Wind Load Specification for High-rise Buildings and Slender Structures in India||IRP/2017-18/4744||14.95||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Ongoing
|5||Finite Element Modeling of Total Hip Replacement||-||15||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Completed
|6||Assessment of Vulnerability of Structures in Regard to Cyclonic Wind Loads||-||16.76||Bureau of Indian Standard||Approved||PI|
|7||Development of ORC Technology for Waste Heat Utilization for Generation of Electricity||-||25||BRNS, Department of Atomic Energy||Approved||Co-PI|
|8||Assessment of Structural Vulnerability through Characterisation of Tornado for a NPP Site||-||38||BRNS, Department of Atomic Energy||Under Review||PI|
1] DAAD Scholarship Awardee, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany, 2007-2009
2] Stibet (DAAD), 2008 Teaching Assistanceship Awardee for conducting special seminar classes for the subject, ‘Safety and Reliability of Engineering Structures’ in English-speaking Master’s course of Computational Engineering from October, 2008 to January, 2009.
3] Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, October 2018 from Energy (Elsevier)
1] University Gold Centred Silver Medal for securing 1ST rank in Master of Mechanical Engineering Examination, Jadavpur University, 2003
2] Sarojini Mazumdar Memorial Gold Centered Silver Medal for securing 1ST rank among all the students of Master of Engineering in Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Jadavpur University, 2003
3] Institute Post Doctoral Scholarship, IIT, Kharagpur, 2018-19
4] National Scholarship Awardee, 1995
Post Graduate: Advanced Fluid Mechanics, Gas Dynamics, Non-Conventional Energy Resources
Under Graduate: Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Thermodynamics
Curriculum Developed: Wind Power Meteorology
- Warden, Limbdi Hostel, from 2013 onwards
- Convener, Creative Practices, 2015-2018
- Lab In Charge, Fluid Mechanics & Renewable Energy, from 2011 onwards
- Secretary, Faculty Committee, 2015-2018
Invited/Key Note Lecture
- Wind climatology for the specification of design wind load and wind energy potential, Identification of Issues for Sustainable Urban Built-Environment through Symposium of Indo German Experts (“Sustainable UBE”), October 2012, IIT, Delhi
- Study of wind induced actions on slender structures using Weibull and generalized extreme value distribution, International Workshop on Wind Disaster Management – Challenges Ahead, February 2013, Royal Group of Institutions, Guwahati
- Uncertainty Quantification of a Random Vitiate, Faculty Development Program on Nanofluid and Its Engineering Application, November 2017, IIT (BHU), Varanasi
- Extreme value statistics for specification of design aerodynamic coefficient, International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering Innovations & Technology Management, December 2017, NIT, Hamirpur
- Wind Energy: Current and Future Perspective, Renewable Energy and Applications (REA-2018), December 2018, NIT, Patna
- Wind Power Meteorology: Wind Data Modeling for Wind Resources Assessment, Advances in Power Generation from Renewable Energy Sources (APGRES-2019), February 2019, Govt. Engineering College, Banswara, Rajasthan
- 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Structural Engineering Research Centre, December 2013, Chennai, India
- International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering Innovations & Technology Management, December 2017, NIT, Hamirpur
- Advances in Power Generation from Renewable Energy Sources (APGRES-2019), February 2019, Govt. Engineering College, Banswara, Rajasthan
Guest of Honor
1. Advances in Power Generation from Renewable Energy Sources (APGRES-2019), February 2019, Govt. Engineering College, Banswara, Rajasthan