GumboRumble Submissions results have been announced. View Full ScoreBoard. Congratulations to teams coders_fools and ScuttleButt for winning the event.
Adobe sponsors prizes worth 50,000 INR (1100 USD) for winning entries! Also, Adobe certificates will be awarded to all valid entries!
Are You Ready for the new AIR?
Unleash your creativity and design skills, for developing software the details of which problem statements have been released by Adobe on the 25th of Jan'10. So get the new AIR 2.0 SDK for Flash Builder and start getting your hands dirty, because this is exactly what you would need to win the global gang war.
The fun doesn't end here, we will allow all the participants to download the binaries of other participants , so that they can find bugs, and review each other's products. You get a bug you report it to us, the team whose application has the bug gets points deducted. So get ready for the clashing of horns.
We promise that this arena will not only prove to be an excellent platform for you to exhibit your path breaking ideas but will also be a self education on AIR2.0. Feel free to drop in a line or query on GumboRumble forum. We will surely extend our full support.
revised event details
- Registrations for the event can be done till Feb 28 09:00 pm IST.
- The event is on development of applications using Adobe Flex 4 SDK and AIR 2.0 SDK.
- The event will be in four phases:
- Start - Jan 25, 6:00 pm: Problem statement release.
- Phase 1 - Jan 25 to 28 Feb: Teams build application on any of the themes and submit them on our website portal. Learn how to submit an application. Also, queries can be sent to the coordinators through our web portal, mails or on forums.
- Phase 2 - Feb 28 to Mar 7: All the '.air' files of teams can be downloaded by other teams and bugs can be reported for these entries. For each valid bug, the team which reports it the earliest gets points on a scale of 1 to 5 , till a total point count of 50, by the judge panel.
- Phase 3 - Mar 7 to Mar 15: This phase is the high stakes metal round for the teams. They will need to make changes to the applications suggested by the judges, remove bugs from their application and also they can add features to their application, which may be copied from other teams applications. This is completely legal as no source code is being given to the teams. Only binary files.
- Phase 4 - Mar 15 to Mar 21: Judging of final submissions to be done. Online interviews for teams with good submissions will be done.
- Declaration of winners - Mar 31, 6:00 pm: On the basis of total points out of 350.
- Max 100 points for Initial Submission at the end of Phase 1.
- Max 50 points for reporting bugs in opponents' submissions in Phase 2.
- Max 200 points for Final Submission at the end of Phase 3.
- There is no restriction on down binary and if you like a feature, copying it is legal.
- All the submissions will be through our website portal. Learn how to submit an application. No submissions through emails will be entertained. If there is a problem with the up cause of reasons of a file being very large, then you should contact the coordinators for the same.
- All dates and times are in Server Time
- 25th Jan 6:00pm - Problem Statement released.
- 28th Feb 11:59 pm - Deadline for submission to Phase 1.
- 1st Mar - 7th Mar, 9:00 pm - Report bugs in other teams' submissions.
- 8th Mar 6:00 pm - Declaration of Scores of Phase 1 and Phase 2. Teams to be notified of bugs in their application.
- 15th Mar 6:00pm - Deadline for Final Submissions after removal of bugs.
- 16th - 21st Mar - Online Interviews.
- 31st Mar 9:00pm - Declaration of final results.
- The event is open to all the students around the world.
- For participating in the event you should have a registered account on this website.To register click on register button on the top right corner.
- You need to be part of a team(a team can comprise of maximum 2 members) to register for this event.To know how to create a team/accept invitation from a team creator and register for the event click here.
- The team is finalized only when the other member also agrees to be its part of it. Otherwise you remain unregistered for the event.
- You are not allowed to take part in the contest as member of more than one team.
- However a team can submit more than one application under any of the categories mentioned in the problem statement, with a max limit of 5 overall submissions.
- Teams will be locked i.e no changes in the team will be allowed , after the first submission.
- Once the team is registered you can submit your solutions as per the instructions mentioned in the submission process section.
- In case of any difficulty you can mail at email@example.com
- Read Gumbo Rumble Submission Guidelines
- All the submissions will be through this website portal. You will need to upload your files after clicking on the Submit Project button on the right side of the corresponding theme page.
- You need to submit the following:
- A description enlisting all the salient features of your application
- '.zip. file of your flash builder 4 project folder
- '.air' file i.e the compiled binary
- The size of the package should be less than 10 MB. Hence avoid usage of any high resolution image.
- In case the size of your application package cannot be reduced below 10 MB, contact the coordinators for alternative submission methods.
- Submissions can be made by either of the team members after logging in on the Codefest Site.
- A team can submit applications as per the themes mentioned in the problem statement before the deadline.
- The ".air" file of your competitors can be downloaded so that you can comment and report bugs on the site.To do that you will need to click on 'see all submissions' under the 'recent submissions' tab where you would get a list of all the entries.
Please make sure that the total size is not more than 10MB, if you have any high resolution images being used, please change the resolution so that the total size of the project file is less than the given limit.
- What new capabilities of AIR have been used.
More marks will be allotted to this than any other field. e.g:
UDP Sockets. TCP Sockets, SQL interaction, Native Process Invocation API, Microphone access etc.
- User friendly
- How many features of a particular theme is it using.
- How good is it documented, to know how a good documentation should be like click here.
- Number of bugs
- Completion of the application
- Online interviews with the teams
about flex 4 (Gumbo)
Codenamed Gumbo, the new Flex comes packaged with AIR 2.0 SDK, which adds a new dimension to developing desktop applications using Flex, with functionalities like listening sockets,support for detecting mass storage devices, Native Process API etc. For a full list of the new functionalities, you can visit the Adobe Air Team Blog. You can get your Free Flex Builder 3 and Flash Builder 4 Serial keys by filling a simple form.
why adobe air?
Building cross platform desktop software is very hard, well at least it was. But after the launch of Adobe AIR the scene has completely changed. Adobe AIR is a wonderful technology that has changed the face of Software Development. Some of the key features include:
One file, many platform
AIR applications are deployed as a single AIR file that works identically cross-platform. The api's within AIR are identical across different operating systems so any application behavior will work the same regardless of where it is running. Regardless if you use HTML/AJAX or Flash/Flex to build your application the API's are identical and run on MAC/WIN/LINUX without issue.
Seamless application update
Updating desktop software is hard. It is one of the primary advantages of browser based applications in that users always get the latest version with every page view. AIR has an auto-update api that allows a developer to simply publish a new AIR file and upgrade all users running the application.
AIR supports application signing from Verisign and Thawte. Security is important and end users need to trust who created an application.
Foundation for better
AIR allows web developers to do more and provides API's to allow for deeper integration with both the desktop and the web. Developers can leverage local databases (SQLLlite), integrate with any TCP/IP server with Binary Sockets, fine tune the user interfaces and user interaction with drag/drop and local file systems. This foundation for better is available to anyone who wants to build an application for free.
Large compatible market
Adobe AIR provides developers with the largest compatible deployable market for applications. If you want your application to be widely deployable first, then AIR is the platform for you. The thing is that AIR today supports all the core features for 80+% of applications in the market today. As we move forward those APIs will expand to encompass more software use cases. The key is that any user, independent of their operating system or web browser, can have the exact same experience with the deployed software.
adobe flex and AIR in the industry
Adobe Flex and AIR technologies are being used by a number of big Industry players like eBay, NASDAQ, Yahoo!, AOL, etc. For more information click here. You can learn more about the success stories of AIR from here. Also visit Adobe Marketplace to view the wide variety of applications being developed using Adobe AIR.
how will you benefit by participating in gumbo rumble?
Adobe AIR is undoubtedly emerging as one of the most powerful platforms for developing cross-platform applications. Gumbo Rumble provides you an opportunity not only learn this wonderful technology but also win big prizes. By participating in this event you become a part of a developer community which will continuously help and evaluate you as a Software Developer. This event will thus help you to grow as a better Software Developer.
GumboRumble is not just a place to compete, it's also an effort from our side to make the new student developers across the globe a part of the global Flex Development Community. In order to help you in understanding this wonderful platform we are providing you links to some of the best tutorials for Adobe Flex and AIR. With the help of these tutorials you can easily solve the problem statement of Gumbo Rumble and win exciting prizes.
We have uploaded a selection of flex tutorials to get you started with flex. These tutorials will guide you from installation to language basics and even to advanced tutorials.
There will be a total of 15 prizes:
- A grand prize of Rs.20,000 for the best entry from one of the three themes
- Best entries in the other two themes will be awarded a prize of Rs.8,000 each
- The other 12 teams will get a pair of mp3 players.
- Neeraj Kumar : +91-9235-106-978 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rahul Verma : +91-9451-364-179 email@example.com