faq about codefest
What is CodeFest?
CodeFest is the annual technical festival of Department of Computer Engineering, IT-BHU, starting for the very first time, this year. All the events are completely online.
Are there any Registration charges?
No, the registrations are free.
Who can Participate?
All the events are open to students i.e. an individual enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution including (but not necessarily limited to) colleges, universities, masters programs, PhD programs and undergraduate programs.
Prize Winners will be required to provide us with transcripts or other documentation from your accredited institution as proof of enrollment or admission status.
Two events viz. Manthan and Perplexed! are open to professionals also.
- How to participate in Gumbo Rumble?
- Login using your Codefest username and password. You will require to register first, if you don't have them. There is no separate registration for GumboRumble.
- Once logged in three options appear namely - teams, profile, logout. Select the teams option.
- On the teams page are given three sections namely -- Teams you have created, Teams you are a part of, Teams who have invited you. Under the Teams you have created is given the option Create Team.
- Select the Create Team option and follow the instructions to create a team of 1 or two members. Alternatively, you can be invited to be part of a team by any Codefest registered user, if you are not part of any team for the event.
- Teams can't be changed after you submit an application. One user can be part of only one team.
How do I create a team?
To create a team, visit your teams page. To create your team, click the "Create New Team" button. You will be asked to give your team's name, description, and the event you want to register this team for. Optionally, you can invite other members to your team using the same form. To do that, you will need to know the usernames of your prospective team members.
- How can I change my team?
When your teams page loads, a set of team controls loads along with it. You can:
- Create a team a team by clicking the 'Create New Team' button
- Invite people people to your team by clicking the '+' button below the list of users
- Accept invitations by moving your mouse over the team that has invited your, and clicking the '+' button that slides in beside it.
- Reject invitations by moving your mouse over your name in the inviting team, and clicking the 'x' button that slides in.
- Leave a team by hovering over a team you have joined, and clicking the '-' button that slides in.
- Kick a user from your team by hovering over his name, and clicking the 'x' button that slides in.
- Delete a team you have created by hovering over it and clicking the '-' button that slides in.
Note that deleting a team will result in all the other members of the team being removed from that team too.
Note: You cannot make any changes to your team after the first submission has been made by your team. You cannot even delete it.
Can I make teams with other college students?
Yes, you can form team with students of other colleges or even professionals, if they are allowed to participate. Except Mathmania, all the events are team events.
When will the contests commence?
First event GumboRumble commences on 25th Jan, Code Warrior on 5th Feb, Mathmania on 13th Mar, Manthan on 14th Mar and Perplexed! on 21st Mar.
Visit the festival timeline for a detailed schedule.
Whom do I contact in case of problems/doubts?
You can post your doubts on the forum or you can email us at email@example.com. Besides, on each event page, contact of the event co-ordinator is provided, who may be contacted for event specific problems.
Is this a live contest?
Two events viz. Manthan and Perplexed! will be live contests with online judge servers i.e. your solutions will be evaluated as soon as you post them and the results of the event will be available as soon as the contest is over.
In Mathmania, your answers will be evaluated as soon as the contest is over. During the contest, you will have the track of number of submissions for each problem. Results will be available within 5 minutes after the contest is closed!
GumboRumble is a two phase round each of about 1 month each.
For each round of Code Warrior, you will be given about a week time to submit your solutions.
Will there be any trial runs for the live contests to get ourselves aquainted with the online judges?
Yes, for Perplexed! and Mathmania, there will be trail runs. Mathmania trail run is scheduled at Feb 13th Sat, 1400 Hrs Server Time and for Perplexed! it is Feb 20th Sat, 1400 Hrs Server Time.
Manthan will be held at CodeChef. There are lots of practice problems available here.
What is Server Time?
Server Time is the time that is shown on the right side portion of each page. It is (approximately) the same as IST. All event servers will be synchronized with this clock, unless explicitly specified otherwise.
How to Register?
To participate in any of the events, you need to register on codefest's website. To do so, click the register link available on every page.
Is it necessary to participate in the trial rounds?
No, but we suggest you do. Trial rounds will help participants to get acquainted with the Online Judge and the scoring system and help us to find any bug/error in our system.
Besides, we may give away some prizes based on the participation in the trial rounds :).
How to register a team for an event?
Team registrations will be done using the codefest login credentials. Details will be uploaded here soon.
When team formation is available, an update will be posted on the site.
Is it possible that there is a single member in the team?
Yes, there can be a single member team. For all the events except Mathmania, you need to form a team to participate.
Is it possible for a team to participate in two events?
No, a team can not participate in more than one event. When you form a team, you are also required to tell the event for which the team is being registered.
For every event except mathmania, if you wish to participate, you need to form a team.
However, one only needs to register once on the website to participate in all the 5 events.
Is there any kind of certification for those who do not win?
All GumboRumble participants get certificates from Adobe who submit a successful entry, i.e. a submission which runs without any error & is within the rules of the problem statement.
For all other events, there are no certificates right now. However, certificates might be given if the number of participation is greater. You will be given a final confirmation regarding the certificates in the near future.
When does the icon beside the "updates" link blinking?
When you are logged in, the website will track and know which updates you have seen. When a new update arrives, the icon will start blinking. It will stop when you open the updates page to see new updates.
Are there any prizes?
Yeah, there are lots of prizes to be won :). The prize details will be updated soon on our website. The prize structure might change depending upon the participation.